Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Final Hadd Test

1 week from today marks the 3 month point of my low heart rate training, and also is the ultra trail running opener at Chippewa (50k).

I have been working Dr. Greg House (Adam Harmer) on testing the progress of this training through periodic "hadd" tests. I used Dr. Phillip Maffetone's theories when training at the low hr level. Below are the 3 Hadd tests, with the third being todays test

#1 (January)

Interval Speed (mph) Avg HR
1 6.4 126
2 6.8 136
3 7.2 143
4 7.8 153
5 8.5 166

#2 (end of Feb)

1 6.5 129
2 6.8 133
3 7.4 144
4 8.1 154
5 8.7 163

#3 April 5th

1 6.6 127
2 7.05 137
3 7.6 147
4 8.3 156
5 9.0 168

So, on this last one, I got a little over zealous. On #2 I left some on the table, as the hr goals were 125, 135, 145, 155, 165. I did not want to be below those targets. I did not want to be above, like todays', but it is okay because I received a lot of valuable information from it.

The key I see from today is the 8.3 at 156, a 7:13 pace. Not all that impressive until you consider last fall. I was probably running that pace in the mid to low 160's. Does this mean I could run a 3:10 marathon next weekend? Maybe. What I do know is I could maintain that heart rate for a long time. I also have a 10 mile run this on the road to compare to today's treadmill test. 12 miles, 8:50 pace, avg hr 141. How does this all add up? Not sure, but at least the 12 mile run acts as a bench mark.

March was also a good training month for me. I was able to do 2 runs over 30 miles (31 and 33.5), both at Afton State Park. I felt much better after the second one than the first and was able to run 8 miles the following day with no problem (I wanted to run long).

To be clear, I have not done any exercise with my heart rate above 147 since 2 second week in January (except for the 3 Hadd tests). Zero speed work. Zero tempo work. If I went back to the Whistlestop Marathon course next week, I am confident I could run it faster than I did in October. How much faster? I don't know. The true test will be next weekend.

Benefits,

In addition to the above improvements I continue to see the following benefits.

* I am not in pain.....at all
* I am not in pain
* I am not sore
* I am not in pain.

I used to have this idea (albeit stupid), that if I was sore from a week of brutal workouts, I would gain a lot after I recovered. Problem is, I never recovered.

* I am not tired (as much) during the day
* It is easier for me to wake up early (this is anecdotal as winter is over).
* My one bout with sickness this year, was won quickly. The lingering cough only lasted 1 week (not a whole month).
* After a long run I am not tired. Well, comparatively. After 33 at Afton I was tired, but the 8 mile run the next morning was at a 9:05 pace, and I felt like I had not even left the house.
* I don't wake up in the middle of the night for no reason (it used to happen a lot).
* I am not sore
* I am not in pain
* No shin splints (even after 3 weeks out of 4 of 70 miles).

Shin splints used to be my nemesis. If I could run my PR marathon today (3:08) without shin splints from training, that would be proof enough. If I could not do 3:08, I know I could be close.

Sooooooooooo

The final analysis will be next weekend. After all of the data crunching, my time to beat will be......

4:15

See you all there

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Well glad to hear you are not in pain! Good luck to you next weekend.

Bryan said...

Those are impressive results. You've put in a lot of great work. Sounds like you're going to do awesome at Chippewa.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!