Monday, March 24, 2008

Adjusting to the obstacles

The best laid plans never account for the reality of obstacles we encounter every day.

The plan for a 3rd 70 mile week in a row was tossed after more sleepless nights from coughing. I finally bit the bullet, and loaded up on decongestant and cough syrup.

Friday and Saturday I was walking around "dazed and confused".... you know the tune.

It was more of a hangover than a six pack of beer, that stuff just lingers in the system.

I finally slept Saturday night. Woke up at 5am for an easy 8 mile "Easter Sunrise" treadmill run. He is risen indeed!

I rounded out the week with 40 miles, as I took Monday, Friday, and Saturday off. I had some serious restless leg syndrome from that on Saturday night.

As much as we (I) get concerned and obsessed with mileage, this little break might help me more than if I pounded through and ran.

Many would say it is time to "taper" until Chippewa, but I find I do fine with a long run two weeks before the race, and just back off the week of the race.

So, that means a long run at Afton on Saturday. Looks like most of this snow will melt, so the hopes of 25 there on Saturday look good.

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

I really want to join you at Afton, but I'll wait for the snow to melt. August?

I'm definitely in on the plans for Chippewa. Book the cabin!

SteveQ said...

Crap. I meant Ice Age. Book the room for Ice Age. I'm driving to Chippewa the morning of the race.