Tuesday, August 16, 2011

3.5 weeks.... and still training

In case you were wondering, I have only been doing about 1 official Crossfit workout per week. I just can not handle too much more.

Today I decided to go back to the standard and try Fran.

21 pull ups
21 95 pound thrusters

15 of each
9 of each

for time.

Last year I was able to do 11:20 (which is pretty lame). Today was 13:20. Funny, the pull ups were the easier part this year. The thrusters killed me.

95 lbs does not seem like a lot until you start throwing it above your head. I probably could have done faster, but I had to break it up into a lot of chunks.

I am a little nervous that, with 3.5 weeks to go, I struggled with a workout which emphasizes power squatting. I should have quads of steel. I don't.

But that's cool.

I am down to 167-168... So almost there.

I think a hard core long run this weekend and 20-25 next weekend should put me where I am comfortable.

I am putting my strategy together in the next 2 days.

I know this..... Sawtooth will be one where I am doing my own race. I fully expect to be alone most of the time. I have no interest trying to keep up with someone, or burden someone else to keep up with me.

I would opt not to wear a watch, but getting the food and electrolytes in over the correct period of time is kind of important.

I may have to improve on my race weight... can we say 162?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing Sawtooth! You should be glad you're not doing much Crossfit if you want to get your weight down. I'm doing a lot and I weigh 202! I can lift a house but not exactly conducive for distance running...I'll have to live vicariously through you. Good luck!

SteveQ said...

I wouldn't sall that lame, considering I can only do three pull-ups! (an improvement - in January I could only do 1) Are you allowed to "kip" your legs, or does style count?

Anonymous said...

Kipling is not only allowed, it's encouraged! They allow you to do a lot more work so in turn are far more exhausting. They hurt my elbows though so I don't do them.

Steve said...

I like your plan, Matt. It was the same one I had last year and it worked brilliantly. Sawtooth is all about patience. You've been there before, so you have experience on your side. Good luck, bud!

Scott said...

Oh, wait... we are supposed to have a strategy for Sawtooth? I'm on it.