Thursday, November 13, 2008

A few pounds difference

I finally strapped the hear rate monitor on for the first time in.......4 months? I was curious to see what my heart rate was doing, as I have been running slightly faster.

Running has felt easier in the past few weeks, now that my knee is healed. Hmmmmm, what has changed? Oh yeah, I am 7 lbs lighter (178 down to 171).

What a difference. My average hr this morning was 141, and I averaged 9:20 per mile. In the spring, this would have been close to a 10 minute pace. I will have to see what the 9 flat pace works out too.

So, go take off a few pounds. It helps! And, by the way, I have been doing low carbs to zero carbs. Its funny, I saw a low carb nutrition forum where a guy said "low carbs are for non serious atheletes and couch potatoes". That sounded like a challenge to me. I am curious how long I can go on low carb. I have not had any energy problems so far. I did a 12 mile run on Sunday under a 9 minute pace, and still had energy at the end.

I am at 40-50 miles per week, and will probably stay there for a while. No need to beat my body up, yet.

Still not sure about the P90X challenge. I think I want to do it, but not sure I have the discpline. I need to get psyched for it.

AND............ The pumpkin ale taste great. Buton Ale yeast gives it an interesting taste, but it is still good. No off tastes like last years'.

Off to Kansas City next week. Maybe a rematch on the Psyco Wyco course.

8 comments:

Carl Gammon said...

Check out the Yahoo group "Ultrarunning" (the split off from the big ultra list server). There have been big proponents of the Paleo diet for ultrarunners, which goes against the carbo loading for running conventional wisdom.

SteveQ said...

Monica Scholz ran 22 100's in one year, eating only dried meat, so it can be done!

I'm on day 2 of my first diet ever (not running really added on the pounds!)

Stephen said...

Congrats! I'm sure that is very rewarding to see that kind of improvement in pace. Great job!

johnmaas said...

Congrats on the weight loss. That combined with the low HR training runs will make you a more efficient runner.
Good luck with the diet and training!
John

Andrew said...

I remember some time back Adam posted the time one pound added to a mile split. Should look it up and see how it computes.

I noticed similar results after shedding a few extra myself.

Wayne said...

Sounds like you're in a good place, Matt. Cruising along getting some easy miles in and dropping weight... you'll be more of a machine at next year's races than you were this year!! Since you're getting out on the Psycho Wyco course, you may as well just do the race in Feb, right?? :)

Helen said...

I am jealous - that's exactly the amount I am gained since Sawtooth!! No doubt due to eating way too many carbs, wayy to much sugar and just crap food in general... and I don't seem to have snapped out if it yet!

There is live tracking for IM - will post the link this week.

Have fun in Kansas!

Carilyn said...

I hope you're following the discussion on the Ultralist. You are right on the money about weight loss and performance according to the posts. Now, if I could only give up my cupcake habit :)