Monday, June 13, 2011

Possibly out of the slump

I have been in a slump for about a year. A combination of work life, personal life, burnout, etc. made running not something I cared to do a lot of.

And by the quantity of my posts, the blogging became almost extinct.

It just wasn't in me. At one point earlier this year, I seriously considered just stopping it all together. I had lost the passion and fun. But that was the winter blahhhs.

I knew it would come back, I just did not know it would take this long.

I felt the old me start to come back this week. I crossed paths with Keith this week in Dallas. We joined up for a short evening run after work on the Katy Trail in Downtown Dallas. This is like running the lakes in Minneapolis. I haven't run with Keith in probably 2 years, but he reminded me a little of why we run. It was good times (Oh yeah, 2 days over 100, and 1 day 96. I survived).

I came home and just felt like running. Out of nowhere, I got up Saturday and did 8 miles at an 8:15 pace, and it felt normal. A lot better than the 9.5 - 10 minute pace I have been doing. It just kind of clicked.

In addition to the above, seeing Carl G show up to FANS and Wayne Nelson bust out his first hundo, I got the bug to just run.

I also finally got around to reading "Born to Run". After I saw an old lady on a plane tell me why I should read it... I finally did. Great book. I will give my thoughts on a separate post. I kind of felt like "....Yeah..I figured out a lot of the same stuff on my own... the hard way. I agree with almost all of the conclusions"

Nobody has to lay out a case to me that we were born to run, I always had it in my heart. Makes perfect sense to me.

But... not everybody get's it. Hence why I have said before "If you have to ask why, you won't understand the answer".

So I will keep running, and maybe a few more races this year. Because I want to... not because I have to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,
I have no words of wisdom for you, just glad to hear your slump is hopefully coming to an end.

The burning question I do have is did you run in the skirt and did I miss it due to my own slump and not being at races!

Karen S

Carl Gammon said...

Good for you. Now I need to get out there with you. Soon, my friend.

FYI: I held off reading Born to Run for a long time, but also enjoyed it when I did. What surprised me is that there are 2 or 3 people mentioned in the book that I have actually met.