Thursday, July 16, 2009

Way to go Dallas!

Anybody know what movie that is from?

Answer:

The Hunt for Red October. Great book, great movie. And for me, a great day in Dallas this week.

For those of you who don't know me, or don't know me too well, here is the scoop.

I got laid off a few months back. The entire division I worked for was canned in one stroke of the pen. I kept somewhat quiet about it. It's kind of like a DNF. But the consequences can be much worse.

But, being an ultra marathoner, I kept focus on the outcome and goal. I reminded myself of one of my ultra rules.

* If things are bad, the will eventually get better

They did. I went to Dallas for a final interview this week, and just received word that I got the job.

AMEN! I am lucky and blessed.

I will still be in the beverage industry, representing a great product.

I was worried for a while that I would end up taking a job working for Steve Quick. Looks like I dodged that bullet.. for now.

This relates to running as I can actually pay for more races this year. Now I just have to figure out how to celebrate (by running a race).

Happy trails

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Matt! Hopefully you're not moving to Dallas. Every night my kids and I pray for all the people looking for jobs. Great to hear that a prayer was answered!

Molly Cochran

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Huge relief for you, I'm sure. Congrats!

Matthew Patten said...

I am not moving.

Staying right here in MN

Andrew said...

Matt, didn't know about your situation - likely wouldn't have worried a ton about you if I had. Those who work hard have a tendency to land on their feet. Congratulations!

Londell said...

I am glad it worked out... Now tell me it is a beverage than does not compete with your other hobby?

Wayne said...

Great news, Matt. Congrats!

Helen said...

Great news Matt. Congrats! It was rough I'm sure but your are right about ultra running skills helping you through tough times. Still, it must have been one enormous challenge to keep positive. Glad to hear you are not moving! And I am interested to see what beverages will be showing up at races/fat ass runs...

SteveQ said...

Now I can finally say what I've been holding in since Kettle: I could've run 19 hours in the 100 miler, if I didn't have a job and had all day to train like you did.

(There isn't an emoticon to show how big a wink that requires)

Can't wait to find out what beverage you'll be brining to races - I miss the Energy Water.

Steve said...

Seriously awesome news, Matt! So, what race is going to be next?

keith said...

Congratulations, Matt! I'm glad you're still slinging beverage and not moving out of state!

SteveQ said...

I had to look up where Lone Star Beer is brewed (San Antonio). Thank goodness you said Dallas!