Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reflections and recovery

First off, a few pictures care of Zach's wife

Me at mile 27. Happy camper.

Hmmmmm, where is the runner attached to this belt (he was in the can)

I can't use my hands... will you please give me a retie while I drink this yummy coffee? This was around 5am.

Mile 42. Not a happy camper. A confused race director was looking at me thinking "The runners ahead of you said you never passed them". Yeah, I know. I took the scenic route. I can't feel my hands.

5.7 miles later. Ahhhh... warmth.

If you want to see more pictures from the event, check out Zach's pictures at

or, Londell's pictures at

One of the odd things I have found to happen after ultras, is memory recollection.

I am remembering things now about the race which I didn't remember Sunday.

This race did bring some new success for me.

1 - I had almost no blisters. I thought I did during the race, but realized it was only my feet feeling really raw. One tiny one below my ankle, that's it.
2 - No chaffing. None. I am now a firm believer in compression shorts and shirts. I wore a skin tight tank top under my clothes during the whole race, and only put body glide on the nipples once (right before the start). I have had some severe chaffing in the past
3 - I didn't glycogen crash. Probably because I did not have much in me to begin with. My fuel problems resulted more from the inability to use my hands for about 4 hours, than what I was eating. My down times were more fatigue, sleepiness, and a mild electrolyte imbalance toward the end.
4 - I did not get dehydrated! First time in a race in a long time. I was always able to "to the business", and I was not consuming copious amounts of water. After the race, I did not have the bloating and chills usually associated with dehydration.

I think #3 and #4 I can attribute to following Stu Mittleman's advice with eating. I did not worry too much about what to eat on the days leading up to the race (and race day). I just avoided simple carbs. I need to read up on food and the water needed to metabolize that food. I think this has been my downfall in the past (too much water being used for non-hydration purposes).

Side effects from this race -

My sleep clock was really messed up for a few days. I slept about 11 hours Saturday night, but only 6 on Sunday night. I was sleepy for a few days.

My body is recovering but, not ready to ramp back up. I did 5 miles (super slow) on Monday, and 8 on Tuesday. I was going to run this morning, but the engine feels stalled. No big deal.

What needs to be done between now and Ice Age -

1 - Hills. My legs eventually gave up on the final loop due to the hills. I was stopped dead in my tracks in the mid 50's, going up a hill. It was the same spot I saw Pierre, but he was about 40 miles ahead of me. I can chalk this race up as one huge hill workout.

2 - Hills.

3 - One 30-40 miler. I will probably do this on the Chippewa course the night before the race (I am not racing, I am helping).

4 - A few tempo runs.

5 - As much core work as I can handle until about 5 days before the race.

Ice Age is gearing up to be a great race. Wynn Davis is signed up, along with some other fast guys (and girls). No doubt the winners will be under 7 hours, the question will be by how much.

Good luck to all who are running Trail Mix this weekend.


Runnin-From-The-Law said...

How has the rest of the week been?

Running 5 on Monday and 8 on Tuesday, even if really slow, sounds like a lot after 100k.

Looking at your race schedule makes me tired.

Steve said...

I agree with you about the compression shorts/tights and tight-fitting tops. I had no chafing whatsoever, even after 100 miles! I've been itching to run all week, but have been giving my body plenty of time to heal up and recover. I'll probably put in a few miles today to see how everything is feeling. Looking forward to seeing you at Ice Age, Matt!