Friday, July 9, 2010

Big News

Back in May, the week after Ice Age, I said "I had a bad week".

For those of you who don't know what was going on in my personal life, it was simple.

I lost my job. 2nd time in 16 months.

But... I said ultrarunning has taught me how to deal with adversity, difficult times, and how to keep your eye on the prize.

I decided after this lay off that I was going to be aggressive and do things a bit differently. I decided to call a company I have always wanted to work for, and start a conversation on why they should hire me.

To make a long story short, they had recently decided to put a position in the Midwest doing the same thing I was doing in my last gig.

One thing led to another. I battled hundreds of others through the interview process.

I got the call today that I got the job.

This is pretty close to a dream job for me at this point in my career. And it is incredibly ironic that this and my last job (which I also loved), came to me in the worse economy of my professional life (or life period).

This job transition is a major reason I took such a huge step back. I was emotionally tapped out, and running well was not something I even cared about.

So now the table is turned.

I am very fortunate to have this opportunity, as well as the support and kind words from all of my running buddies in real life and on the blogosphere.

The area I cover will stretch from Colorado to Ohio, Canada to the Gulf. That is a lot of trail running.

Call me the lucky dog.

I will still be based where I am now, so I will still be around to battle the faster Matts.

Thanks to everybody who has been a friend in this trying time.

Now I have to get back in shape..... the trails are a callin'

14 comments:

Cindi Spence Matt said...

Glad things worked out for you. Sounds like a great opportunity!

nwgdc said...

Congrats! I'm very excited to see the trails you cover...bring a camera. Welcome back!

Now, on to sheduling events for the fall...what's on the list?

Kel said...

Incredibly awesome news, Matt! Congrats :)

Budducci said...

Outstanding! Glad that things have taken a big upward turn for you. Looking forward to seeing you on at some races again.

Julie said...

Congrats on scoring your dream job Matt! This is excellent news:)

Unknown said...

Matt, that's awesome! Congrats on the job, and welcome back to the trails!

wildknits said...

Yippee!! Way to pursue the job YOU wanted.

Helen said...

Congrats!!

Very happy for you and the family Matt.

Now, get your ass back out on the trail... we can compare notes as we build back up.

Dave said...

Congratulations on getting the dream job! Now we need to plan that November 100!

Nolan said...

Congratulations!

Andrew said...

Super news Matt!!

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! So glad to hear it, congrats!

SteveQ said...

Ah, the dream job... still waiting for mine. Isn't it weird how when you "have all the time in the world to train because you're not working," you don't do nearly as much?

Best of luck with the new job!

Londell said...

great news!