I wanted to compete again, not just chalk up finishes (which is a great accomplishment in of itself for Ultras)
I knew I had to do 3 things
- Get my diet back in order
- Rebuild my base by the "Maffetone method"
- Run A LOT of miles
So.... fast forward almost 6 months.
- I'm down 22-24 pounds (depending on the day)
- I'm almost completely Paleo (except beer), and have been for this time
- I spent 4 months strictly only running at my "MAF" heart rate (which most people would find dreadfully slow
- I ran more miles over the winter than I think I ever had
Most of my weeks in the last 3 months have been 70+ miles.
Results - My body has been transformed.
Yesterday I ran a 40 miles at Afton State Park and for the first time ever in a really long run I thought at the end "I feel good, I should keep going". I was alone, and already pushing the time limit on when I should be home. But feeling solid at 40 sealed the deal
Oh yeah, I'm signed up for the Gnarly Bandit Ultra Series.